Re: Easy way to backup FC5 over network?[Scanned]

Chris Bradford wrote:
I've been looking into backup solutions for my FC5 boxes over our network to a file server.

I came across netcat and tar, using the following commands:

On the file server run:

*nc -l 6060 > backup.tar.gz*

Then on the client run:

*tar czvOPp --same-owner /* | nc 10.0.35.100 6060*

However this fails due to files in use (i.e the '/proc/' folder) so what I want to know is what I would need to do in order to create a full, working backup.

Any ideas?

You could use something that's designed for the job, like bacula. It takes a bit of setting up but works well, you can do incremental/differential backups and it's great for recovering bits of backups from specific times, such as when you accidentally delete things.

And it can back up Windows clients too.

Paul.