Re: Sendmail + SASL2

On Thu, 2006-06-22 at 19:51 -0600, Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:
>     This may be OT, but I'm going to try anyway...  I have an old server
> which originally had SASL installed on it and sendmail
> compiled/configured to use (PLAIN LOGIN) authentication (NOT SASL).
> That server also uses NIS to get the user account information from
> another machine.  Everything works.
>
>     Now, I'm trying to move everything to a new server which has SASL2
> installed.  I configured sendmail to use SASL2, and the machine is also
> using NIS like the old one.  The problem now is that it's requiring me
> to actually use the sasldb file and set up the users individually.  I
> didn't have to do that on the old machine.  It authenticated against the
> password file (which was being imported by NIS.)  But I can't figure out
> why it won't work on the new one.  All the config files are the same,
> all the sendmail files are configured the same.  So why is it forcing me
> to use the sasldb?

I have pam set up to use LDAP rather than NIS but the sendmail config
should be the same:

/usr/lib/sasl2/Sendmail.conf:
pwcheck_method:saslauthd

In /etc/sysconfig/saslauthd make sure you have "MECH=pam"

Make sure you have the cyrus-sasl-plain package installed.

Make sure saslauthd is running.

The relevant snippets from sendmail.mc:
define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS',`LOGIN PLAIN')dnl
TRUST_AUTH_MECH(`LOGIN PLAIN')dnl

Paul.