Re: screen resolution

starcycle@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
On 6/22/06, Jim Cornette <fc-cornette@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The last time that MGA and Intel were both broken was due to a compiler
error which broke both video controllers in a similar fashion.

Is your X configuration setup as badly as the one someone posted
earlier? I would not suppose the compiler was amiss again.

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2006-June/msg02385.html

i am basically using the default configuration with a few changes, but
it doesn't look all that much different from the one you posted. what
about that is so bad?

The one that I linked to had many instances of comments included. I understands that comments shoud not be harmful, but there were about four incidents where the same comment was posted.

I also posted an attachment of a working xorg.conf file that I use on a system upgraded to FC5 from several previous releases of Fedora. The Intel that I use is linked below. (Only a text file, no virus or malicious scripts)

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2006-June/msg03410.html

Section "Screen"
	Identifier "Screen0"
	Device     "Videocard0"
	Monitor    "Monitor0"
	DefaultDepth     24
	SubSection "Display"
		Viewport   0 0
		Depth     16
		Modes    "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Viewport   0 0
		Depth     24
		Modes    "1280x1024" "1152x864" "1152x768" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
	EndSubSection

anyway, here's the relevant portion of the xorg.conf. it's difficult
working with it, because every error just makes the screen go blank
like it's in "standby" mode -- even just putting another resolution
the mode line -- and the only way to get any screen back at all, even
a console, is to reboot. i guess fedora configured the framebuffer
wrong for the matrox card.

Section "Monitor"

### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
       Identifier   "Monitor0"
       VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
       ModelName    "Samsung SyncMaster 172T/176T/CX176T/CX171T (Digital)"
#       DisplaySize  340        270
### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC: (redundant)
       HorizSync    30.0 - 65.0
       VertRefresh  56.0 - 75.0
       Option      "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Device"
       Identifier  "Videocard0"
       Driver      "mga"
       VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
       BoardName   "Matrox Graphics, Inc. G400/G450"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
       Identifier "Screen0"
       Device     "Videocard0"
       Monitor    "Monitor0"
       DefaultDepth     16
       SubSection "Display"
               Viewport   0 0
               Depth     16
               Modes     "800x600" "640x480"
       EndSubSection
       SubSection "Display"
               Viewport   0 0
               Depth     24
               Modes    "1280x1024"
       EndSubSection

Your default depth is set to 16. Your maximum resolution is set to "800x600" for 16 depth. Changing default depth to 24 might work.

With the blank screens that you are getting and corrupting the video controller until a reboot, it just may be a botched up driver from the compiler or options used to compile the modules.

You may need to use the "vesa" driver until this situation is fixed.

Jim

--
Suppose you're working on an optimizer to render \X unnecessary (or
rather, redundant, which isn't the same thing in my book).