Re: FC5 new install - using lilo - kernel panic

On 6/21/06, Dan <grinnz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
starcycle@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

If you're in rescue mode, I believe this is normal. ext3 partitions can
be mounted as ext2 with no problem, you just dont get the benefit of
ext3 journaling at that time.
-Dan

i tried installing grub from my main OS following these instructions:
http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=975

but there were no stage1 or stage2 files in the /boot/grub directory.
i found some in /usr/lib/(somewhere), and copied them over. it
installed and said there were no errors, but when i reboot, all i get
is a grub> command line, and no options or anything. i tried entering
the path to my kernel and the root, but it gave me error 8, something
about the kernel.

i rebooted the fedora install CD and chose to "ugrade system." it said
it detected no bootloader and did i want to install grub. i chose yes,
it went through the routine, and then it said no kernel was installed,
leaving bootloader as it is. there was no option to upgrade anything
except the bootloader. how can i install a kernel so i can install
grub?

thanks
sc