Re: How to configure mysql server?

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Lai Zit Seng wrote:
>
>> Yes it does sound like root already has a password.
>>
>> You can try reinitializing the mysql tables by running:
>>
>> /usr/bin/mysql_install_db
>
> Thanks, I tried that (as myself, not superuser),
> and obtained an enormously long - over 2000 lines - message,
> which finished by saying
> -------------------------------------
> To start mysqld at boot time you have to copy support-files/mysql.server
> to the right place for your system
> -------------------------------------

The message is a generic message, and not FC5 specific. Starting the
mysql server is controlled by the mysqld script in /etc/rc.d/init.d
just like other servers are controlled. You can use the service and
chkconfig commands to control its starting, or you can use one of
the GUIs for controlling services. If you want to do it from the
cli, your best bet is to run setup as root, and pick "System
services" from the menu. From Gnome, run System --> Administration
--> Server Settings --> Services.

As far as using mysql, you will probably want to install the
mysql-administration package. While mysql can be administered with
the cli tools, they are not very friendly. The mysql cli tools are
designed to be usable from scripts, and only provide minimal help.
They also require that you know the SQL command syntax to use them.
They do not prevent you from "sooting yourself in the foot" if you
do something you shouldn't"

Another good tool for adminstering mysql databases in phpMySQLAdmin.
It does require that you be running a web server with PHP to use it.
But if you are running a web server anyway, it is worth installing.

Now, if you have not done anything with the database, then I would
do this, as root:

service mysqld stop
rm -f /var/lib/mysql/*
service mysqld start

When you start the mysql daemon, it will create the database files
if they do not exist. This lets you start with a fresh database.

Then in X, run mysql-adminstrator. You will want to use localhost,
user root, and no password. The first thing I would do then is go to
User Administration and give root a password. (This is not connected
with the root login password.) I would then add a user account or
two. By default, new users can connect from anywhere and have no
privileges. You can then assign the privileges that the user has to
each database. The mysql database is a special database. It has the
user and access information that the mysql server uses. You will
want to be carefull about who you grant access to it.

A couple of other things to keep in mind - on a new install, the
mysql server is not started on boot. You will want to change this
after you have the root password set, and users defined.

Mikkel