Re: New FC5 installation Package manager can not find installation files

--- pansy309@xxxxxxx wrote:

> ------------------------------
> >
> > Message: 3
> > Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 11:21:42 +0100
> > From: Paul Howarth <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > Subject: Re: New FC5 installation Package manager
> can not find
> > 	installation files
> > To: For users of Fedora Core releases
> <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
> >

> > Try here for a way of getting Add/Remove Software
> to work with your CD
> > images:
> >
> > http://www.city-fan.org/tips/YumRepoFromImages
> >
> > I'm not sure it'll help with your modem issue
> though.
> >
> > Paul.
> >
> > Thanks Paul,
>
> I am trying to wade through all of that. I sure wish
> they had left an option so people in my situation
> could start up a little easier.When I enter the mnt
> -r -o loop  command it cannot find the directory.  I
> tried inserting the cd and it still does not work.
> I also added the path to the disc then the local
> repository with no luck.  At least it is making me
> remember some of what little I know about linux.   I
> may have to resort to getting a more newbie friendly
> distro.
> Any suggestions
>
> In the meantime, does anyone know how to get the
> modem working.  Specifically, are there modem
> drivers somewhere in the distro, and if so, how can
> they be accessed?

No, there are no modem drivers on the distro, unless
of course the serial driver is called upon.  Your best
bet is to get scanModem from
http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/

get scanModem.gz from there
http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/scanModem.gz
download it and while running your linux
$ su -
psswd:  ******
#
# gunzip scanModem.gz
# chmod +x scanModem
# ./scanModem
will return some stuff. Inquiring into your previous
message, you said an Agere/LtModem of some sorts if
that is the case and you are sure of it get the
martian code driver
http://phep2.technion.ac.il/linmodems/packages/ltmodem/kernel-2.6/martian/

There are some Lucent/Agere winmodems with no linux
support though.

Regards,

Antonio