Re: Bad sector

jdow wrote:
> From: "J.L. Coenders" <fedora@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>
>> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

>> checking it
>> manner. Is

>>> You may want to use hdparm and see if the on-drive defect management
>>> feature is turned on. (-D option) If it is not, turn it on and let
>>> the drive remap the bad sector. If it is already turned on, then you
>>> should start looking for a new drive. If the drive has used up all
>>> the spare sectors, then it is probably failing.
>>>
>>> I have run into a few drives that do not seam to remap some bad
>>> sectors until you run the manufacturer's drive test on them. You can
>>> usualy download this from their web site. You can also download the
>>> Ultimate Boot CD, boot from the CD, and select the correct test for
>>> your drive. (It also has a lot of other nice tools on it.)
>>>
>>> http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
>>>
>>> Mikkel
>> Thank you for this. I was just running a Ultimate Boot CD test on the
>> drive. The errors do not show up the manufacturers diagnostic tool,
>> Maxtor.
>
> Color me paranoid. It'd be a good idea to create that backup, anyway.
> It might not be as urgent a problem, though.
>
> {o.o}

Thanks for the tip. I started doing that backup.
I'll buy a new harddisk this weekend and try to see if the problems
disappear with a new drive.
Until then, and since I have no time to buy the hd anyway, I'll just
keep continue testing the disk with the manufacturers tool to see if
that will show any problems. Until now it hasnt shown anything. It only
says that the drive is 'certified error free'. Strange.

Regards,
Jeroen