Anacron pre-link problem (FC4)

This morning, while anacron was running, I suddenly had 100% cpu
usage.  I immediately started top and caught a brief glimpse of
something with 'hal' in the name, then 'prelink' took over, claiming
99% cpu.

For various reasons no updates had been performed on this box until
yesterday, when a huge list updated, including the installation of
kernel 2.6.16-1.2115_FC4.

Has anyone any idea why this may have happened?

Anne