Re: Use of Cups printing in a home network.

Tim wrote:
On Mon, 2006-06-19 at 16:23 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:

I would like to use cups printing in my home network which consists of a
three Linux machines connected to a DSL router.

I would like to use one of the machines as the print server and be able
to print from all the three machines, but nothing I try works. I can't
make browsing to occur.

I suspect that  this has something to do with transmission to the
various machines through port 631 but could anyone explain how this can
be done?

Ordinarily, this is easy to do.  Set up your server, do nothing with the
clients, and the default firewall options lets local printing sort
itself out.

When that doesn't work, you may have to rethink how your firewall is set
up.  You may have to specify the server address in the
client's /etc/cups/client.conf file.  You may have to hand-edit the
server /etc/cups/cupsd.conf file to listen to the local network and
allow local connections.

Read those config files, and the corresponding manuals/documentation.

Just to throw a possible problem into the mix. Will cups work on a full DHCP network or does the server need a fixed IP address? I know that the OP doesn't mention this but many home networks use DHCP.

You can use ethereal to watch the communication and see where the problem occurs.

--
Robin Laing