Re: LVM of VolGroup00 with LogVol00

Patrick Nelson wrote:
FC4 Up to date

I went to do an Upgrade to FC5 and I don't have enough room on my system (which is a VMware Instance). So I thought well lets just extend the Logical Volume. The only problem is that LogVol00 is mounted to /. My head is sore from trying to find a way to run resize2fs on this LV when it is mounted on /. Is this even possible? I guess I could create a new LV in VolGroup00 and mount it to /var, but I started down this road and I'm kinda hoping I can figure it out.

So far I've done:

pvcreate /dev/sdb
vgextend VolGroup00 /dev/sdb
lvextend -l 267 /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /dev/sdb
all worked fine, but of course:
resize2fs /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00     -  doesn't work because its mounted.

Any suggestions would be great. I am working out the /var to a LV thing but...

You can try this:

# ext2online /

However, with a size change as big as that it probably won't be able to help you. You'll need to boot from the rescue/install CD to resize the filesystem using resize2fs.

Paul.