Re: LVM magic in initrd, or "making an initrd without modules"

Steffen Kluge wrote:
On Fri, 2006-06-16 at 10:18 +0100, Paul Howarth wrote:
Try:
# mkdir /lib/modules/2.6.16-nomod

and see if that works any better.

Thanks Paul, that plus touching modules.dep in this directory made
mkinitrd work. The box boots fine now, and the init script doesn't
attempt to do anything with modules anymore.

That might be worth raising a bugzilla on mkinitrd for.

I'd suggest something along the lines of:

If the --builtin option is used for a module, skip this test:

if [ ! -d /lib/modules/$kernel ]; then
    error 'No modules available for kernel "'${kernel}'".'
    exit 1
fi

Reasoning: we might be building an initrd for a monolithic kernel with no modules.

You'll probably need to expand on this to address the modules.dep issue.

Paul.