Re: basic command pipe question

Todd Zullinger wrote:
Sam Varshavchik wrote:

WTF????????

Is everyone on drugs, here?

In the current political climate I feel it's best to refrain from answering that. (Insert dope-smoking smiley here. :)

Or did:

rm -f *.zip

suddenly stop working, for some stupid reason?

I believe the wrinkle the OP had was trying to match case insensitively. The simplest method for that is

rm -f *.[Zz][Ii][Pp]

Which has already been posted.

Other than that, the other methods are just good ways to illustrate how many ways you can chain together commands. It's just a fun exercise. :)

Here's another, that ensures the file has both the right extension *and*
content:

rm \
`find . -name "*.[Zz][Ii][Pp]" | \
file -f - | \
grep "Zip archive" | \

(force switch omitted)

So this will not delete zip compressed "xpi" files, nor extensionless
zip files, nor non-zip files with (for whatever reason) zip extensions.

To catch all zip files regardless of extension (or lack thereof) you
would simply omit the "-name" argument to "find".

--
K.