Re: Locked up again! What can I check- I'm on another box

I struggled to discover the issues I had when installing FC5 (of course I did state here that I wasn't going to use it) and then after I fixed those issues I discovered that five out of seven computers FC5 was installed on had random lock ups. I thought at first that the lock ups occurred only with Firefox, but soon discovered that it did not seem to matter whether it was a running program or a couple of times while the screensaver was active.

I also attempted to access these computers from another machine with no luck at all. The locked up FC5 computers act as if they are no longer running. Four of these FC5 computers are ASUS mother boards while the other three are dual Athlon MP Tyan motherboards. Only the ASUS motherboards are experiencing the lock up issue at this time.

One thing I did discover in all cases was the battery power management settings were set to put the machine in standby after a period of 30min. So far setting this to 'Never' seems to have helped in all cases. I also tried turning off the APIC in the system bios which had no effect on the lock up issue. In all cases the FC5 computer was either sitting idle for a few minutes or I was doing something within one of the application windows I opened, and the display maintained the last graphics displayed at the moment of lock up.

I am also curious as to why on two occasions on two different computers I have experienced FC5 logging me out during a long gedit session, (>5min of editing and saving)  then it locked up the machine! Is there an auto logout feature beside the 30sec log out warning message that shows when someone accesses the logout button on the menu? If so can that easily be turned off?

Someone else who is experiencing the lock up condition should try changing the battery management settings to 'Never' and see if it ends their lock up issues.

Bill Cronk

Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2006 00:15:05 +0100 From: "Paul Ward" <pnward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: Re: Locked up again! What can I check- I'm on another box To: "For users of Fedora Core releases" <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx> Message-ID: <b5cd8d890606171615ja0c77dby88c67db6915e5720@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed I have used fc3, 4 & 5 and they all locked up on my 2000+ amd in runlevel 5 or when Xorg was running, I did some googling and found a common cause was people with the standard build which uses LVM for root, as soon as I rebuilt th e PC and used a normal EXT3 partition every thing worked, I have been using this build for about weeks now and never looked back. Hope this helps On 17/06/06, Claude Jones <claude_jones@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: