Undefined color: "black" on Nvidia card

After wrestling with the nvidia driver (see the thread entitled
"Nvidia MX 4000 card locking up on FC5 as updated"), I now find I
can't launch some programs. I get error messages like so:

[ccurley@charlesc ~]$ emacs &
[1] 4737
[ccurley@charlesc ~]$ Undefined color: "black"

[1]+  Exit 255                emacs
[ccurley@charlesc ~]$ xmutt &
[1] 4741
[ccurley@charlesc ~]$ Warning: Color name "black" is not defined
xterm: Cannot allocate color cyan
xterm: Cannot allocate color black
xterm: Cannot allocate color yellow3
xterm: Cannot allocate color blue2
xterm: Cannot allocate color yellow
xterm: Cannot allocate color red3
xterm: Cannot allocate color magenta

[1]+  Done                    xmutt

I can launch the same apps sucessfully over an SSH login.

I do not see anything that jumps out at me in the logs or config file.

I don't think I've tried to launch a program in X on that machine
since that thread, so this may be a continuation. Sigh.