Re: Intel PRO/Wireless 2200/2915 firmware on FC5

On Sun, 2006-06-18 at 08:51 -0500, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-06-18 at 00:49 -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:

> > > I just put FC5 on an HP laptop with an IntelPRO 2200BG and can not get
> > > it to work either.  Does the firmware have to be obtained from Intel?
> > > Is there a way to make the wireless network active?
> >
> > Install ipw2200-firmware-3.0-1.lvn5 from rpm.livna.org.
> >
> > --
> >  		Matthew Saltzman
> Matthew,
>
> Thanks for the information!!!!  Guess I should have found that in the
> thread, but missed it somehow when I read the messages.  I have
> installed ipw2200 and am now able to see some wireless networks, but am
> still having trouble connecting.  I have been able to connect to them
> using windows so I know they are allowing connections.
>
> I have an HP Pavillion Entertainment Notebook that has a wireless toggle
> switch that I suspect might be the "Radio Frequency Kill Switch" as part
> of the top row of buttons.  The switched worked when windows was
> installed, but now with FC5 installed it is not recognized; I did not
> set up a dual boot machine.  dmesg listing includes the following error:
>
> ipw2200: Detected Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection
> ipw2200: Radio Frequency Kill Switch is On:
> Kill switch must be turned off for wireless networking to work.
>
> I have done a google search on this subject but have not yet found an
> answer.  Using iwlist eth1 scan I can see the wireless networks so I
> think my wireless card is partially working.

Sounds like it is receiving, but not transmitting and the kill switch is
on the transmit side.  The kill switch has to be turned off per the
message above.

Just on an off chance, have you tried to press the switch after power is
applied but before the OS starts to load?  Maybe that will work,
otherwise I have no clues at this point.

The driver was able to tell you the kill switch is on, so somehow it
should be able to turn the switch off.