Re: Is there a safe or easy downgrade FC5 > FC4??

On Sun, 2006-06-18 at 13:13 +1000, Ben Stringer wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-06-17 at 17:46 -0400, Beartooth wrote:
> > I'm getting negligible use out of what ought to be my main machine,
> > because I can't get it to display a Gnome desktop; and KDE with Gnome
> > Panels and Gnome apps just gives me dangerous blood pressure. (It's fine
> > for them as likes it, no doubt, but it's like some other GUIs -- every
> > time I touch it, I dislike it more, alas!)
> >
> > This machine was doing perfectly fine with FC4. In fact, it did fine with
> > FC5 -- at first. Then I went and tried out pup and pirut, and must have
> > uninstalled something I shouldn't have -- and can't find again.
>
> For future reference, there is a cronjob that maintains a list of
> installed rpms, in /var/log/rpmpkgs, rpmpkgs.1 etc. Doing a diff between
> these files can show you what packages were installed, removed or
> upgraded in the period between the cron runs. Probably only good for a
> few weeks back though, as logrotate will only keep 5 or so versions.

With pup and pirut being based on yum, perhaps they also
update /var/log/yum.log; there may be clues there as to what as been
deleted.

As for downgrades, there's no "supported" way of doing it. It's do-able,
but not easy, and I'd only try it as a last resort.

To install gnome, try this:

# yum groupinstall 'GNOME Desktop Environment'

Paul.