Re: [i810 PROBLEM] How may I get back 1024x768 screen resolution

Vikram Goyal wrote:
On Thu, Jun 15, 2006 at 06:08:53PM +0000, S.W. Bobcat wrote:

This *should* be easy to fix as I've done it a nimber of times. Right now I'm in FC4 but have installed FC5 (too buggy for my taste) the the solution is as follows:

Go to: System Settings (or equivalent if changed in FC5) --> Display Enter your root passwaord.

You should get a 3-tab folder with Settings, Hardware, and Dual head

Under Settings you will find the Resolutions and Number of Colors *BUT*
before you set these perameters you need to go to the *HARDWARE* tab and set 1) your Monitor type 2) your video card type, once you select these two thing go back to settings and then select the resoltion you want and the number of colors.

Bob

Hello Bob,

What you described does not solves the problem.

I already have xorg configured for my hardware. The only problem is I
think with the i810 driver since on the same hardware I have used
1024x768 screen before.  But now when I use that setting then the screen
gets virtual i.e bigger then the actual monitor screen and that is the
sctual problem.

There have been bug reporting for i810 but not specific to mine, thet's
why I pasted the whole of my xorg.conf in hope maybe someone has such
kind of hardware and maybe faced and solved his problem.

Anyways thanks for trying.

Regards!

Why do you have lower resolutions setup for 16 depth than 24. I believe the resolution needs reduced when greater color resolutions are used. I do see the default depth is 24 and this is where your 1024x768 is set.

I have a dell with an Intel 865G that works fine at both 1280x1024 and at 1024x768 using the depth of 24.

Excerpt from your xorg.conf file posting:
Section "Screen"
	Identifier "Screen0"
	Device     "Videocard0"
	Monitor    "Monitor0"
	DefaultDepth     24
	SubSection "Display"
		Viewport   0 0
		Depth     16
		Modes    "800x600" "640x480"
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Viewport   0 0
		Depth     24
		Modes    "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
	EndSubSection

For this section, I am confused as to why all of the commented information followed by redundant information as the excerpt describes below:

Section "Monitor"

 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
	#DisplaySize  280	210
 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
	#HorizSync    30.0 - 54.0
	#VertRefresh  50.0 - 120.0
	Identifier   "Monitor0"
	VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
	ModelName    "StudioWorks"
	DisplaySize  260	195
 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
	HorizSync    30.0 - 54.0
	VertRefresh  50.0 - 120.0
	Option	    "dpms"
EndSection

Have you changed any settings in BIOS or upgraded the BIOS version lately?
I have seen the problem that you describe on several different videocards. The problem usually appeared after a 3D application was launched. Then the video information would pan as you are experiencing.

You might try to rename your xorg.conf file and run system-config-display --reconfig. Check all hardware settings and ranges to assure they are correct. Save the config file, then restart X.

If your video settings are still not correct, system > Preferences > screen Resolution might be set wrong (GNOME anyway) even though they are set correctly using system > Administration > display.

Good luck, the video chipset is not busted for me, but I do not use a monitor as you have.

Jim

--
Vendor no longer supports the product