Re: [FC5] Converting AVI to DVD HOWTO?

Paul Smith wrote:
On 6/15/06, Mark Haney <mhaney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have a few .avi files from TV shows that I have downloaded. I would
> like to convert these .avi files and burn them to DVD such that I could
> view these programs on my TV (DVD).
>
> I've done a little bit of searching on Google and have come up with some
> seemingly dated instructions on how to accomplish this.
>
> What I have found thus far involves a GUI. If possible, I would like to
> avoid a GUI and just do it from the command line. This might not be
> possible, I haven't a clue.
>
> I would appreciate any pointers to howto's. I am completely clueless in
> what might be involved in this process.

I had the same issues a while back and here's a great link I found, it's
from the Gentoo Wiki, but it's a really good doc on the guts of DVD
authoring.

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=117709

I've also used DVDAuthor to build a fairly simply Menu for the DVDs and
to transcode them to ISOs as well.

In addition to the previous suggestions, let me introduce you to Videotrans:

http://videotrans.sourceforge.net/

Videotrans is similar to Tovid (with no GUI, though), but, up to my
best knowledge, Videotrans performs better regarding sound, as the
sound of VOB files produced by Tovid have a volume significantly lower
than the original AVI file.

Paul

Thanks to all. I'll review these suggestions and see which one best suits what I'm looking for. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Mike

--

 Real programmers use: COPY CON PROGRAM.EXE
  21:55:01 up 2 days,  2:02,  5 users,  load average: 3.02, 2.36, 1.26

 Linux Registered User #241685  http://counter.li.org