Re: MS-XP to internet via Linux -

Paul Howarth wrote:
Bob Goodwin wrote:

This computer [box1] runs FC-5 and has a wireless connection to the internet via eth0, into a wireless bridge, to a wireless router connected to a satellite receiver/modem.

I also can exchange files via Samba on eth1, with a Windows XP computer [box5] which has no internet connection other than a conventional modem which is now useless since I terminated my service with AT&T Worldnet. I don't often use the XP computer but I would like to be able to update applications and sync the clock occasionally. I would like to connect it to my ISP through this computer to avoid buying yet another wireless adapter.

I haven't had much luck "googling" but probably am not inputing the right keywords. Most of what I found was about connecting Linux via a Windows box. Can anyone suggest where to look for information/instructions on connecting an XP system via Linux?

I'd set up the Linux box as a router/firewall using shorewall (which is in Extras).

Here's a HOWTO:
http://www.shorewall.net/two-interface.htm

Paul.

After looking at the shorewall diagrams I wonder if I could not reconfigure my system. Presently I have a Linksys WET54G wireless bridge feeding this computer[box1] via eth0 and an old Linksys EZXS55W 5-port ethernet switch connected to eth1 and some other computers including the XP computer [box5]. What if I move the switch between the wireless bridge and this computer [box1, eth0]. It seems I should be able to tie the XP box5 into one of the four remaining ethernet ports on the switch and get both a route to the internet and between boxes via Samba. Before embarking on that effort I would like more knowledgeable comment however. I'm probably getting in over my head but I usually manage to muddle through such things eventually if they can be done.

I have been using Firestarter to setup the firewall for some time but could probably manage with Shorewall if necessary.

Any comment appreciated.

Bob Goodwin   Zuni, Virginia