Re: another jerk in my mail box

On Wed, 2006-06-14 at 08:20 -0700, Lonni J Friedman wrote:

> What exactly does "certified to work" mean?  If its anything similar
> to Microsoft's WHQL certification, then its just a meaningly marketing
> effort, and doesn't really guarentee any more than that the drivers
> exist and support the hardware.

RedHat used to have (and probably still does) a very large lab staffed
to certify that a piece of hardware would run with RedHat's
distribution... which earned the 'Certified to Run with RedHat' seal of
approval. I think the vendor paid for this cert. I haven't seen this
lately in magazine ads, as I did in 2000, so I do not know if this is a
ongoing effort with them. But, RedHat and Dell were thick as fleas back
then. I have no clue towards their relationship now, but RedHat and Suse
are their major offerings still, for their server lines. 25% isn't bad,
it used to be a LOT less! Ric