Re: Big problem with MYSQL

Arthur Pemberton wrote:
On 6/14/06, Karl Larsen <k5di@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    I'm using FC4 and I installed a full mysql and it just will not
work! And I have tried all that the ref manual offers and I think this
problem is just RPM problem. MYSQL works in all ways except this critial
step. It comes up when loading mysqld and it is fine until I want to
show a DB. Then it fails totally!

Here is an example:

mysql> GRANT ALL ON test TO PUBLIC;
ERROR 1044 (42000): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' to database 'test'
mysql>

This is a problem NOT in the referance manual and I have no idea how to
fix it. The dam problem is just a just a FC4 problem? I don't think so.
I understand SQL well but this just defies understanding.

Karl Larsen.

First step would

1) do the grant tables allow what you want to do? Easy solution would
be to move them and start fresh
I have no idea what your talking about. What is a grant table? I tried the sql grant and it doesn't work as shown. I tried mysqladmin with several control letters to no avail.

2) check /var/log/message for any further error messages

I looked and it logs every time I start and stop mysqld. Not intersting.

Karl