Re: FC4 or FC5

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 12:41:49 -0700 (PDT)
BRUCE STANLEY <bruce.stanley@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> And this may be the very reason why we can not get the drivers for our hardware
> distributed with Suse anymore.
>
> If there is no legal way around this,  Suse Desktop will be a thing of the past
> for the general desktop user (e.g. home user who is not technical).
>
> Suse and other Linux vendors will not have a snow balls chance in you
> know where in competing against  MS Windows with out drivers.
>
> This would include USB devices as well.

That's just FUD.  We're already starting to see open source drivers for 3d video
trickle in; yeah it's slow.  But that's a hell of a lot better than giving
up all the freedoms open source offers just to get some short term extra
hardware support.  There is already a perfectly acceptable closed source
operating system available, there's no reason to make another.

Sean