Re: (fedora) vsftp and dodgy permissions

syrus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote at 13-JUN-2006 20:24:05.59

>I'm setting up a new server at the moment and I'm trying to get FTP working so I
> don't have to SSH as much (I use webdrive in Windows) but I've come across a st
>range problem.
>
>Now, before anyone starts a-rantin' I know I shouldn't be using root for this st
>uff anyway, but I'm just doing it while I get set up.
>
>Anyway, the problem is;
>
>When I ssh I can see all files and folders with root.
>When I ftp I can't see certain folders. /var/ and /etc/httpd/ specifically.
>'ve ssh'd into both my servers to check permissions and they're both the same f
>or those directories and yet one works while the other doesn't. Anyone know of a
>n explanation?
>
>The old server, which works perfectly, is running Fedora Core 2 pretty much out
>of the box.
>The new server, which doesn't work properly, is running Fedora Core 5 out of the
> box.
>
>The conf files are exactly the same between the servers. It's vsftpd that I'm ru
>nning on both, so essentially it should be the same.
>
>Any ideas why the ssh and ftp would behave differently accessing files with the
>same username and password?

On my FC5 machines I noticed that I can only access files on the
root-partition ( / ). Files located on any other partition seem to be
unaccessible.

                        Jouk

Bush : All votes are equal but some votes are more equal than others.

  Jouk Jansen

  joukj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  Technische Universiteit Delft        tttttttttt  uu     uu  ddddddd
  Kavli Institute of Nanoscience       tttttttttt  uu     uu  dd    dd
  Nationaal centrum voor HREM              tt      uu     uu  dd     dd
  Lorentzweg 1                             tt      uu     uu  dd     dd
  2628 CJ Delft                            tt      uu     uu  dd     dd
  Nederland                                tt      uu     uu  dd    dd
  tel. 31-15-2782272                       tt       uuuuuuu   ddddddd