Re: FC5/FC4 Update Problem With Newer Kernels

Well sort of.... If you drop back to the 2.6.15 series my bet is that everything will work fine. I am currently running FC4 and tried to update to FC5 (either via a clean install except for /home and /backup; or via the "update" method ) but no matter what I did Star Office 6.0 that runs -- and installs -- under FC4 does do neither under FC5.

I punted, and dropped back to FC4. I then went throute of updating the kernel to 2.6.16 series for FC4. And lo and behold, but what to my wondering eyes did appear... (hint: ain't *no* raindeer) but the *EXACT* same problem I had with FC5!!! My buddy also had a simular experience when he updated his kernel to the 2.6.16 series. So.... I did an install of the 2.6.16 kernel, but I did it with rpm -ivh so it would be installed, withoutr wiping out my other kernels. When I booted into the 2.6.16 kernel things went haywire, including hardware and software, *BUT* the second I rebooted into the 2.6.15 series, everything works fine.

Conclusion: Something changed between the two kernel series. That something causes incompatabilities bith with some software and some hardware. Exaxctly *what* was changed I have no idea. I suspect some legacy software or libraries needed by the software, and some hardware support was removed. Probably in the name of keeping the kernel from becoming too bloated, but if that is the case I wish someone in the kernel mailing group would tell us, as well as to tell us how to patch our kernels who still need to use things like Star Office 6.0, etc., older video cards, etc.. There is no reason that something that is supported and works under the 2.6.15 kernel series, should no longer be supported or work under the 2.6.16 kernel series.

I have had the same problem.

> I've run into a problem trying to update a system from FC3 to FC5 ...
> or even FC4. I updated one of my home systems (a clean install)
> from FC4 to FC5 without a hitch. So I decided it was time to update
> my wife's FC3 system (MS-6390 mainboard with VIA KM266 & VT8233A/8235
> chipset)

I have been running FC4 on the same mainboard for months, and the first
time I used the 2.6.16 kernel it did not detech my on-board Ethernet
controller. /etc/X11/xorg.conf was also changed even though I am using
the on-board video. I continue to use 2.6.15-1.1833_FC4.

The same thing happened for each new 2.6.16 kernel (I tried 2.6.16-1.2115_FC4
this morning.) This is, to say the least, annoying.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on?

JM Rotenberry