vsftp and dodgy permissions

Hey all,

I'm setting up a new server at the moment and I'm trying to get FTP working so I don't have to SSH as much (I use webdrive in Windows) but I've come across a strange problem.

Now, before anyone starts a-rantin' I know I shouldn't be using root for this stuff anyway, but I'm just doing it while I get set up.

Anyway, the problem is;

When I ssh I can see all files and folders with root.
When I ftp I can't see certain folders. /var/ and /etc/httpd/ specifically.

I've ssh'd into both my servers to check permissions and they're both the same for those directories and yet one works while the other doesn't. Anyone know of an explanation?

The old server, which works perfectly, is running Fedora Core 2 pretty much out of the box.
The new server, which doesn't work properly, is running Fedora Core 5 out of the box.

The conf files are exactly the same between the servers. It's vsftpd that I'm running on both, so essentially it should be the same.

Any ideas why the ssh and ftp would behave differently accessing files with the same username and password?

Thanks for any help.

--
This is an email sent via the webforum on http://fcp.homelinux.org
http://fcp.homelinux.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=92712&topic_id=22401&forum=28#forumpost92712