Re: FC5 rpm database corrupt [Solved]

On Tuesday June 13 2006 03:58, Paul Howarth wrote:
> I believe that the cause of this particular problem is that the FC5
> out-of-the-box SELinux policy does not assign the correct context type
> to yumex and it does not execute the rpm scriptlets in the correct
> SELinux domain as a result, which causes the failures you've seen.
> Updating the SELinux packages (and possibly yumex) first using yum
> *should* result in a working yumex.

Paul: This is not clear to me - my machine that produced all the problems over
the past days is a fresh install, updated daily over the past 2 weeks. Yumex
and SELinux policies are at current versions from Core/Updates/Extras - Yumex
is ver yumex-1.0.1-1.0.fc5; are you saying that I should have selectively
updated Yumex and SELinux before running any other updates from day 1?

On a different note, I spent some time looking at the current state of the
other package managers out there, last night. KYUM appears to be stuck at
7.5, the version I filed the bug report on about munging the Livna repo
files; SmartPM has a faq now, which seems to be pretty good documentation
about how to set it up, with good explanations about all the settings - I
didn't try setting up anything yet, but I ran it last night; it found updates
for OpenOffice, but did that twice, downloading 100mb of stuff on each run -
this is on the install rpm from extras with the fedora smart config file.
--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA