udev timeout on boot

Hi all,
I have a new FC5 install with all updates applied. Kernel 2.6.16-1.2133_FC5-smp-i686. On boot, udev times out every time. I have checked boot.log, dmesg, and messages for some mention of udev to see what is happening to no avail.

Where would this information be written if not to one of the above files? What would make it time out? This machine is a dual-core Athlon with hardware Raid 1, one DVD writer and 2 Gb RAM. nVidia card drives dual NEC monitors. This is nearly the same HW on a much older Athlon that I used with FC4.

  Ideas?

TIA

Bob