Re: No floppy device in FC5

--- nigel henry <cave.dnb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Monday 12 June 2006 20:29, David Boles wrote:
> > nigel henry wrote:
> than mean a file manager
> a mount point created?

> I said it's been
> floppy, so things
> things, they haven't)

> devices.  There are some entries
> appear to be floppy

> > > Well as I've just posted, inserting a floppy in
> FC5 returns nothing,
> > > although removable devices are supposed to be
> autodetected with FC5.
> > > CDROM stuff is detected, although with a lot of
> bulls,,t boxes,asking
> > > what you want to do with the media.
> > >
> > > I've just moved the same floppy to the other
> machine running FC2, opened
> > > Kdiskfree, mounted the floppy, and then opened
> it in a file manager.
> > > Works like clockwork.
> >
> > If by 'it does not work' you mean that no icon
> appears on the desktop for
> > the floppy?
> >
> > Look in the 'Computer' folder on your desktop, or
> select the 'Places' drop
> > down menu and then select 'Computer' and click on
> the Floppy icon. It will
> > mount the floppy and a icon will appear on your
> desktop. You will have to
> > unmount it by selecting that in the icon menu. The
> icon will disappear.
> >
> > --
> >

> >   David
>
> Hi David. That Might be ok if using Gnome. I've just
> tried it and the floppy
> opens ok in a file manager. I use KDE, and as I've
> said the CDROM/DVDROM
> drives open up this box asking what I want to do
> with this media, but even
> though the CDROM/DVDROM stuff opens ok in KDE, the
> floppy drive has gone
> AWOL.
>
> There was never anything wrong with all the
> removable media being
> in /etc/fstab.
>
> I'm damned if I am going to have to log out of KDE,
> log back into Gnome,
> (which I don't use) just to gain access to my floppy
> drive.
>
> Which idiot, and I repeat "idiot" has decided to
> remove all the removable
> media from /etc/fstab?
>
> I admit, I don't often need to use a floppy disc,
> but when you do, it would be
> nice to think that you could use it.

Use Kwikdisk in KDE.  It should let you mount a floppy
disk by default.  The fstab line with /dev/fd0
/media/floppy should be present though for this to
work.

/dev/fd0                /media/floppy           auto
 pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0

Hope that kwikdisk/kdiskfree is installed on your
computer and this little problem goes away for you.

Worst case is open up a terminal
$ su -
password:  ***
# mkdir -p /media/floppy
# mount /dev/fd0 /media/floppy
and your floppy should be mounted & ready.

Regards,

Antonio