Re: Widescreen Support

> I've seen the recent comments about generating a suitable modeline which I think I could manage...Is this all there is to worry about or should I be aware of other problems?

Aside from the xorg.conf ModeLine (which you may not need to create depending
on the monitor and the built-in modes), there is another confusing setting
stored somewhere (God knows where) outside of xorg.conf with the preferred
screen resolution, once you get a valid ModeLine, you'll also need to use
the Preferences/Screen Resolution tool to make it actually use that resolution.

> The graphics card is an ATI 9600 using livna ATI drivers.

I currently have a problem with the ATI livna drivers crashing my x86_64
box whenever X exits or restarts, so I'm back on the radeon driver.

> Anyone care to recommend a 'nice' widescreen?

http://www.westinghousedigital.com/pc-44-7-42-1080p-monitor.aspx

is the one I just got setup this weekend, but that may be a bit "too" nice :-).