Re: HELP!! /dev/root mount failure

Okay,
First off thanks to everyone for speedy replies. Secondly, I've solved the problem. The mkdevroot failure was a lilo problem. As soon as I went back to using grub, the problem went away and my Linux loaded, as expected. So I then immediately tried my old trick of "dd if=/dev/hda of=/tmp/linux_boot.img bs=512 count=1", to take a "snapshot" of the first part of the boot sector so my Windows disk could then refer to that in its boot.ini; c:\linux_boot.img="Core 5".....

However, this didn't work.

So, some more searching found that when using the NTLDR as your boot manager, you have to have the Linux AND the Windows partitions on the same disk, if you want to use grub. But I know this is not the case with Lilo, as I've set up lilo for a second disk in the past without problems.....Windows on one, linux on another and Windows booting linux.

However, the key seems to have a separate /boot partition and to install your boot manager into that, NOT the MBR of the target disk. Then taking the 512 dd works....

So, now I've got Windows and Linux on the same disk, and Windows is in control of the MBR. I've always found this the safest thing to do, as I've had some bad experiences a few years ago. Admittedly, grub was young back then.

If anyone can confirm a working lilo-22.7 /etc/lilo.conf, that would be awesome, but in all honesty, I'm happier with grub as it's much nicer (/boot/grub/grub.conf, changes are less hassle)....