Re: Question, about drive assignment when boot drive is sata

Ed Greshko wrote:
Gene Heskett wrote:

1.  What are the errors?  You don't say.

"fails the e2fsck of /dev/hda1."  As in can't find it at all.

OK...

2.  Was the original drive a PATA and now you have a SATA?

This I do not know, but I'll find out in the next few hours.

3.  Check the /boot/grub/device.map file for "(hd0)     /dev/sda".

4.  If the answer to 2 is "yes" did you create a new initrd file for the
running kernel?
New FC5 install, from scratch.  I should also state that he is using the
re-spun FC5 release, from the dvd's iso.

I'm not familiar with the technical term "re-spun FC5 release", could
you elaborate?

Same deal as with the FC4 release, which came with so much broken stuff that if you could get it to install, by the time it was 60 days old, well over a gig of it had been replaced. Now someone has apparently done this for FC5, made a new set of iso's from a snapshot that since it has the same kernel I'm running, can't be more than 2-3 weeks out of date. I wasn't aware of it myself, but google to the rescue as always.

See: <http://torrent.fedoraunity.org/torrents>

5.  You've looked at your grub.conf and fstab and you "think" there is
no problem....but we've not had the opportunity to do the same.  You may
want to consider having folks here take a look-see.
First, its not my box, and yes, we're not exactly newbies at grub.conf
nuances.  If he could boot it, he could post those, but I'm not too sure
I want to type all that as he reads it to me from 1000 miles away.

Even "oldbies" can stare at a file for hours and convince themselves
that there is nothing wrong.  I don't have enough fingers and toes to
count the number of times I've done that.

Chuckle, me too, many times over Ed, and I still have a full complement of those appendages. And at 71, I'm definitely an oldbie who has had lots of time to make all those 'duh' mistakes. Now the problem is becoming one of remembering, darnit.

FWIW, if you have more than one computer at your disposal it can be a
boon to problem solving to have a "serial console" setup so there is no
need to retype anything.  I've had that now for 5+ years and tend to
assume everyone has that in their bag of tricks.  I know I shouldn't do
that....sorry.

I'll mention that when we next talk. His weekends can get wet as his uncle owns a winery, and this is the season of touring wine 'fairs' & he gets drafted to play bartender.

Since I had narrowed it down to the reboot after the install that was
failing, I figured that this sort of a problem was a known problem, with
a 'duh' type fix.  The box is his home networks server/gateway, and with
it down, he'll have to reconfigure a bunch of cat5 to get a local hookup
online.

Well, the only thing that happened to me one time was that I was
switching to a different RHEL level.  I don't recall the exact details
but I was having problems booting to the new OS.  I'd moved drives
around and had a mixture of PATA and SATA.  I failed to make a change to
the BIOS to tell the system the boot device was the SATA drives so it
read the old info off the PATA drives and fell flat on its face in some
manner.

I think we can lay that one to rest as its the only FC5 box he has, and I verified last night that he was indeed getting the same kernel I am with this uptodate machine. From his description, the failed drive is 100% toast and is headed for, if not already in, the garbage can.

More details as they become available.

Thanks

--
Cheers, Gene