Curiosity re: /var/spool/mail by beginner??

Hi;

This is just a curiosity question?  I have been using Linux (FC) for
over two years now, and I have never found a use for /var/spool/mail.
Whenever I login as root I get messages telling me that I have mail. I
just clean it out every 5 or 6 months.  I read through it first using
the mail utility but there never seems to be any information that is
useful to me.

I understand that on the original Unix systems 'mail' was how the system
and the kernel would communicate with the user and root, but does it
have any use now?

Do people on the list use it anymore?  If so, for what?  How?  Or, am I
missing something basic?

--
Regards Bill
FC 5