Re: Program to produce spec files

On 6/11/06, Thomas Cameron <thomas.cameron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am trying to learn how to build a rpm from the tarball without
> checkinstall, and I am wondering whether there is already a program to
> produce a tentative spec file to be afterwards changed and corrected
> by the packager. Maybe a program like the one that I describe here
> would increase the productivity of packager. Is there such a program?

Many times I just use the template at http://www.rpm.org/howto/thefight/
and go from there.  It has worked for pretty much every RPM I've ever
had to build.

To find out what the list of files is, I usually do the standard dance of:

./configure --prefix=/usr
make
make install DESTDIR /var/tmp/foo

then I do

cd /var/tmp/foo
find . -type f | sed "s/^\.//" >> /path/to/specfile

are creating and then go to town.

Thanks to all. I have just done the following:

./configure --prefix=/usr
make
su
make install DESTDIR=/var/tmp/videotrans
cd /var/tmp/videotrans

but the directory /var/tmp/videotrans is empty!

Strange, is not it?

Paul