Re: Timed and automatic login not longer automatic

Eric Brunson wrote:
        <stanfinley@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

        >> With a complete yum update today on both my i386 and X86_64
        FC5 PCs I am
        >> now required to enter my user password in a GUI box with
        timed log in
        >> (which I never had to do before). Automatic log in requires
a password >> as well. This seems to be new behavior. What's up?
            Looks like they've added a new feature to gdm-2.14.8-1. I
        suppose
        it is more secure this way,
        <SNIP>
                Scott

Stanton and Scott,
While it may be more secure, I'd prefer it to be able to do an
automatic login. I too began having problems with a forced password
prompt after I updated  yestereday.

Brian

So again the developers know better than I, a lowly user, what's best
for me. No warning, no option, just a log in box that halts my boot up.
(Why call it "automatic" log in in the first place then?) And BTW you
know an "everything" install isn't good for you either. </rant> Ah well,
life really is like a box of chocolates isn't it?

I completely agree with you Stanton. I just updated and hit the same thing, but I seemed able to work around it by setting a timed login with the timeout set to zero seconds. I still get the password box, but it goes away and the login takes place.

Actually, I can't get that to repeat, I get stuck at the password dialog now, too.

If this was intentional, then I'm totally against it. I know they requirements for my systems and I don't like people taking options away.

I cast my vote for "that sucks and whoever decided on it is a jackass".

Now if I can get Xgl working again, I'll be happy.