Re: Emacs keybindings in Gnome

On 6/9/06, Jonathan Underwood <jonathan.underwood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 08/06/06, Markus Lindholm <markus.lindholm@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi
>
>  I just tried out FC5 (all packages updated), but I could not get emacs
> keybindings to work.
>  What I did was to run gconf-editor (tried both as root and as a normal
> user) and changed
>  /desktop/gnome/interface/gtk_key_theme to 'Emacs'. But it
> didn't do the trick as I thought it would (I checked by using gedit).

That's odd, as that's exactly what I did, and it works. I did it as a
normal user - if you do it as root, that will set gtk_key_theme for
the root account, not your user account. Remember that changes via
Gconf-editor change things only for the user you run it as.

Yes, I tried first changing the value as a normal user then as root. I actually noticed now that it had some effect, e.g. ctrl-a and ctrl-e works correctly with the value set (didn't work before) but ctrl-k on the other hand brings up a small search window, even with the value set. Weird.  That's not expected behaviour, right?

Any other process or file that could play a role in this?

/markus