Re: firefox update

Globe Trotter wrote:
> just wondering when the updated firefox rpm will show up? as many as 13(?)
> patches were issued more than a week ago to get firefox 1.5.0.4.

There's a related story on lwn.net about Firefox updates:
http://lwn.net/Articles/186614/

Basically, the problem for Ubuntu is that they don't want to update from
a 1.0.x Firefox to a 1.5.x Firefox (it would break extensions, and
Ubuntu is supposed to be "stable" in that it doesn't do major version
updates).

On the other hand, the patch isn't easy to backport to 1.0.x, there are
a lot of non-security changes, there are more changes that look as
though they fix security-related stuff (probably areas where there's no
known way to exploit problems, but the code could still stand to be
tightened up), and Ubuntu are carrying quite a few patches of their own
which would need to be forward-ported.

How does this affect Fedora?

FC5 is relatively easy -- it can just get a version upgrade to 1.5.0.4.
FC4 never did get a 1.5.x upgrade -- I seem to remember that in order to
integrate nicely with the rest of the system, it would have needed an
upgraded version of gtk++ or something -- and that would destabilise
every Gnome program on the platform.

And then there's RHEL, which tries very hard *not* to do version
upgrades on released platforms.

I suspect that the Red Hat crew will be trying pretty hard to backport
the changes to 1.0.8.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail address: james | Say it with flowers, send a triffid.
@westexe.demon.co.uk  |