Re: Adding Apache Modules

Chris Maiden wrote:
Hi

I installed Fedora Core 5 for the first time this week - everything went well until I tried to add mod_rewrite to Apache...

This is what I did...
Removed rpms httpd apache etc
Downloaded apache 2.2.2 source
Configured with mod_so
etc

So Apache is working fine which makes me wonder if it's something to do with Fedora...

Now when I try to add mod_rewrite with
apxs -i -a mod_rewrite.c /usr/local/apache/build/instdso.sh

this is the output
SH_LIBTOOL='/usr/local/apache/build/libtool' mod_rewrite.c /usr/local/apache/modules /usr/local/apache/build/libtool --mode=install cp mod_rewrite.c /usr/local/apache/modules/
cp mod_rewrite.c /usr/local/apache/modules/mod_rewrite.c
Warning!  dlname not found in /usr/local/apache/modules/mod_rewrite.c.
Assuming installing a .so rather than a libtool archive.
chmod 755 /usr/local/apache/modules/mod_rewrite.so
chmod: cannot access `/usr/local/apache/modules/mod_rewrite.so': No such file or directory
apxs:Error: Command failed with rc=65536

Now the warning about dlname is apparently normal so I have tried other suggestions I found on the net

yum install httpd-devel
yum install libtool

I also the permissions on apache/modules to 777 because I thought it was a permissions problem but it's had no effect.

It is Apache 2 even though it /usr/local/apache

Any help would be appreciated

I'd be inclined to try rebuilding the 2.2.2 httpd SRPM from rawhide rather than just installing from source. That way you'd get it built using the same compiler options as the standard httpd package (e.g. FORTIFY_SOURCE), which might help.

Paul.