Re: OT: fs choice for large system

On Thu, 2006-06-08 at 21:43 -0600, Jamie Bohr wrote:
> What is better JFS or XFS?
>
> I am evaluating what file system to use on a 3.5 tera byte server I am
> getting ready to deploy.  I was looking at JFS but it does not seem to
> be extendable, please correct me if I am wrong.  Then I was going to
> try XFS but I don't see any install packages for it.  I don't want to
> reinstall the OS when I have a nice working FC5 install.  Does someone
> know the package name for XFS so I can yum install it?
>
> What would you recommend?  I've heard a lot about XFS so I would like
> to play with it.  Is it extendable?

XFS came from SGI.  We use the cluster version, called CXFS, to provide
a 20 TB workspace for a pair of 512-processor Origin 3900 systems
(running IRIX, not Linux) doing scientific computing.  Our sister site
in Ohio uses it on an Altix 3700 BX2 (Itanium) cluster (4 nodes of 512
processors each) to provide a 100 TB workspace.  XFS should work fine
for your 3.5 TB server.