Re: Display SWF file challenges

On Thu, 8 Jun 2006, Todd Zullinger wrote:

> tfreeman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > In FC 5, not completely updated because I expect to nuke and pave
> > one more time before letting this machine go, I'm having some
> > challenges with web sites utilizing flash animation (A simple
> > example would be http://www.markfiore.com) I get an error message
> > stating "An error occured playing SWF file: Failed to set pipeline
> > to PLAYING". The web browser will then lock up.
>
> I have an up to date FC5 system and just viewed one of the flash
> animation on Mark's site without any error.  Text, sound, all seemed
> fine.  Definitely no lockup.
>
> > Am I just special, or is this a known problem that I've missed?
>
> You might just be lucky.  But perhaps give an update a try and see
> what that gets you.
>
> Do you have the flash-plugin from Warren Togami's repo[1] or direct
> from Macromedia?  Mine's from the repo.
>
> [1] macromedia.mplug.org
>
> - --

Ok. Post a question, and about the time somebody responds (for which I
thank Todd), something comes loose and things start to get fixed. Happened
again this time.

I had three packages related to swfdec installed, which the browsers
thought would decode SWF files. Well, it wouldn't. Uninstalling the three
packages allowed the macromedia software to be run (and I did get it from
the repo, fwiw), which handled the flash stuff just fine.

Todd - thanks again for responding, and to the rest of the list my deep
appreciation for your bandwidth while I fumble around with this.

If you think Education is expensive
Try Ignorance
                   Author Unknown