Connecting to Windows Network via VPN

cI can find plenty of stuff about connecting a Windows client to a Linux network via VPN, but I have the OPPOSITE need. My employer's network is Windows 2003 Server, but I've got a Fedora machine at home and I'd like to connect to it. I have absolutely no problem doing so from Windows but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do it from Fedora.

For one thing, it seems like the Linux VPN client wants "too much information" compared to how you configure the VPN client in Windows. I have an employer-owned laptop that is already set up with a Cisco client, including preloaded certificates and the like, but I can also connect via a plain-jane Windows XP Home box, by entering the IP number of the gateway, and then giving it a user name and password.

Seems like under Linux, I have to tell if its "host-to-host" or "gateway-to-gateway," then it wants certificates, etc. I just want to be able to connect, give it an ID and password, and go, just like with Windows. I admit total ignorance beyond that; I'm not trying to administrate anything, just trying to hook up as a client.

Any insights would be most appreciated.