Re: kde in extras - the devel discussion

On 6/6/06, Mike Cohler <mike.cohler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I see that there is a long thread in fedora-devel about whether to
push KDE out into extras. There are a lot of people out there (Linus T
for one !) who feel that KDE should be part of the OS.  I would hate
to see KDE pushed out of the core.

What do you think ?

To make this work (for me) I would need

1.  Network install should be able to detect the presence of (or be
told about) the DVD/CDs
2.  To be able to download extras DVD/CDs just like I download core DVD/CDs
3.  To be able to download extras DVD/CDs at the same time core is available
4.  To select KDE at the same time as I select the other packages and
none of this post install "Do you have any other CDs would you like to
install anything from them?" nonsense.  God forbid it would then start
downloading dependencies from the internet that I already have
elsewhere on CD.  Ugh!
5.  This has to happen with test releases
6.  Extras should be split because it is currently around 3G and I
don't see why I should have to download 3G just to get KDE.
7.  This has to be absolutely painless for new users.

For me, the reason that I want to be able to download a DVD/CDs of
extras is because I install on about 6 PCs (and that number seems to
be increasing) so having to download KDE & deps that number of times
does not sit well with me - it takes more bandwidth and is far far
slower (unless extras can out-perform bittorrent).

What are the chances that Extras is going to be split up so that I can
download only KDE and its dependencies?  Slim to none, I suspect, but
I live in hope.

To me, the acid test of "Its all going to be transparent, you won't
notice if its in core or extras" would be to put gnome there too (or
in its own repo, just like I would much prefer kde).  If its good
enough for KDE, its good enough for Gnome.  There are no rules that
state RH can't maintain something in Extras so do the sensible thing -
move them both out of core, preferably into their own repos.  Now that
would be sweet.