Re: NetworkManager Problems

Paul Johnson wrote:
> I don't know of anybody reporting that N-M works with wireless
> devices that require keys or wpa.  It does work for me on wired
> ethernet and for networks that don't have security.
>
> If there is anybody for whom N-M works with WEP or WPA, let's hear
> about how you make it go.

::raises hand::  It works fine for me on a home network that uses
WPA2-PSK and TKIP.  The AP is a linksys and the ESSID is broadcast.
There are known issues with trying to use a hidden ESSID, though I
don't have time to dig up any links to where I read that.

The laptop I use has an Intel 3945 builtin.  I've downloaded the
drivers, firmware, and regulatory daemon and installed all that
manually, though they can be had from Axel Thimm's atrpms repo too.

> Do you configure your cards through system-config-network?

Nope.  As part of the driver install, I added a few lines to
/etc/modprobe.conf.  I don't know if s-c-n would have handled that or
not.  I had it done in less time than it would have taken to open the
program and find out.  I disable the network service and enabled the
NetworkManager and NetworkManagerDispatcher services.

Setting things up in NM was easy.  I chose my wireless network from
the applet's dropdown and entered my password.  I did find it annoying
to have to enter the password to the gnome keyring on every login just
to get the network to fire up, so I installed pam_keyring[1] and the
gnome keyring will now unlock with my session login.

It works quite well for me, both at home with wired and wireless
connections and at the few other places I've tested out public
wireless networks.  I think I connected to a WEP "protected" network
with it, but I don't recall where that was.  (WEP is pointless and
totally broken.  I'd sooner run an open network and a VPN than waste
time with it.)

But yeah, NM can definitely work with WPA.  If it doesn't work for
you, I'd try posting details here or on the NM mailing list.  If that
doesn't yield some answers, then there is still the manual config.  I
have the same network and laptop working fine with FC4 with only minor
editing of the network scripts in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts.  I
can't say I know much at all about debugging NM.  Fortunately, I
haven't had to yet. :)

[1] http://www.hekanetworks.com

- --
If quizzes are quizzical, what are tests?