Re: kde in extras - the devel discussion

anthony baldwin wrote:
Mike Cohler wrote:

I see that there is a long thread in fedora-devel about whether to
push KDE out into extras. There are a lot of people out there (Linus T
for one !) who feel that KDE should be part of the OS.  I would hate
to see KDE pushed out of the core.

What do you think ?

I think KDE should be default and Gnome in extras.
I always use KDE, but I do use various gnome pkgs, too.
But I realize that this is all a matter of opinion.
I know other people that use neither KDE no Gnome.
And that´s okay, too.
Hey...it´s all about freedom and choice here, isn´t it?

tony

I am somewhat of a newcomer to Linux and at a loss to understand the almost fanatical support of KDE. When I was first exposed to Linux in RH9 I found that KDE did not work consistently and chose to use GNome. Recently I have started to use core 5. KDE may work well in the current distro but I have become more familiar with GNome; apart from a personal preference I can see no technical reason to consider one better than the other. I assume by the strong support from many there may be a technical reason to support KDE over GNome, what are they.