Re: LDAP - server slow or not serving

listserv.traffic@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
LDAP startup is TERRIBLY slow.

It takes literally minutes to check the ldap config files and minutes
more to actually start ldap/slapd.

Any ideas what's borked, or if I should just live with it?
I see your borked server and raise you are partially no-response server:
---
Hi, I've got an FC3 openldap server with about 400 entries, working nicely with Outlook 2000/2002/2003 clients and with thunderbird/seamonkey clients. Then the next day, every user is getting errors stating problem with the ldap server.

On inspection, service ldap status looks like it is normal. Stop, wait, restart the service, noGO. Well, the service starts OK, but clients don't get responses.

Checked, no firewall, SELinux disabled on the server.
Telnet to the ldap server: telnet 192.168.10.3 389. The server accepts the connection and I can type a few lines before it quits the connection (not very good at ldap protocol by hand ;).

Ethereal trace shows syn, syn-ack,ack,ldap bind, then the request comes in, and the ack response goes to the client, but the conversation never completes.

Any ideas, on what is going wrong with the ldap server ?
---
I guess you should try my tests to see if the symptoms are similar ?
Is top showing busy or full on memory ?

DaveT.