Custom keystrokes and bindings

Hey,

I have a MythTV box running FC5, and have had all kinds of problems with phantom keypresses with my remote control when using lirc and linux input layer drivers. For example, press 'up' 3 times, then 'down' once, and lirc picks out the 'down' as an 'up', despite having set up the remote properly with irrecord.

So, because the remote is effectively just a keyboard and works as such, (for example with LIRC off, the number buttons work as numbers in all apps, and the direction pad works as up/down/left/right arrow keys), and its listed as an input device in /dev/input, how can I skip using lirc all together in order to:

1) work out what button is sending what keystroke
2) give the non-standard keystrokes a name, and therefore set up new bindings in MythTV

MythTV has a nice keybinding interface, but all the arbitrary buttons (like play, rewind etc) come back as "invalid command", so I'm guessing that I need to somehow assign the keystrokes a name in order for them to work?

The MythTV side of things isn't a problem, its picking out all the 'extra' key presses from the remote and making them do something useful that I need help with!

Thanks in advance,

Ben

Here's some info that may be helpful in this situation:

# cat /proc/bus/input/devices
I: Bus=0001 Vendor=185b Product=c900 Version=0001
N: Name="saa7134 IR (Compro Videomate DV"
P: Phys=pci-0000:00:08.0/ir0
S: Sysfs=/class/input/input0
H: Handlers=kbd event0
B: EV=100003
B: KEY=108c0222 2110801 0 0 0 0 0 190 80006801 e1680 0 0 ffc
-- snip --