Re: kde in extras - the devel discussion

On Wed, 2006-06-07 at 10:57 +1000, Andy Goss wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-06-06 at 14:05 +0100, Mike Cohler wrote:
> > I see that there is a long thread in fedora-devel about whether to
> > push KDE out into extras. There are a lot of people out there (Linus T
> > for one !) who feel that KDE should be part of the OS.  I would hate
> > to see KDE pushed out of the core.
> >
> > What do you think ?
> >
> > --
> >
> > mike cohler
> >

> Why alienate your most enthusiastic users? Who else is going to
> recommend your distro?
>
> If FC did not support KDE, which in FC4 at least it does rather well for
> my purposes, I would not be using FC at all. There are plenty of KDE
> distros around.
>
> Loyalty must first be earned, then continually justified.
>
> Andy Goss

Further to my own post - I don't mind where they put KDE, so long as it
is properly implemented. But if this means it is not an install option,
then the loss of diversity is unfortunate, as diversity is one of the
prime virtues of Open Source.

If new users are unaware of KDE in the distro they will never find out
if it suits their needs. I thought we were trying to get away from the
"one size fits all, and if it doesn't you must be a communist" approach.

Andy Goss

Andy Goss