Re: Re: kde in extras - the devel discussion

Tim wrote:

Personally, I wouldn't mind it if disc 1 was really "core", was small,
and didn't *need* any other disc to make a working system.

Well there is also the possibility that for a new arrival to Linux it
should be an easy job to make a system workable. An easy install, and
good tools to make it all happen from the single set of disks that the
new user uses to install the system is important.  Sure, I can make
the install pull in most of the things that I need, and then pull in
the stuff from extras and other repos that I already know I will need
to get operational every 6 months or so when a new version comes out.
It may be that a new arrival will be happy to accept whatever the only
default is that has been decided for him/her for the desktop - but
this will not apply to everybody.

However I also know that if you are installing a new version each time
one is released (every 6 months or so) and have a number of computers
to deal with, then any extra time needed to download stuff like KDE or
other big packages will multiply up to make it somewhat time-consuming
to deal with. If it is all on CD (and not everybody has DVD writers or
readers yet despite it being 2006 !) then it is a lot easier than
coping with network installs for major parts of the system.

If the installer can indeed handle additional discs (CDs), and put in
large packages, or can install from a mirror in an easy way then it
can be made to work - but not all users have fast net connections.
There are still some people who have to install with just the media
that are available for a distribution - for example in the UK there
are some areas without broadband and that will remain true for a while
yet.

I expect that there will still be as many people who will want KDE as
Gnome - particularly for people who want configurability.  And some
packages are much more suited to one desktop than another and work
better in one rather than the other...

This discussion will not doubt have a while yet to run!

--

mike cohler