Re: Normal linux in Mac 86

Marc M wrote:

Check google, yahoo and other group listing websites for this. I know there is a movement somewhere for 'linux on a mac'. I guess you would look for keywords for whatever chipset you are looking to get. I know a developer who runs a Unix/linux based business and carries an ibook for his laptop, says it will do everything he needs such as kernel tweaking, all the cool multimedia stuff etc.

I had an iBook for a while, ran OSX (yes, very stable, very nice) and with Fink I could run lotso my fave FOSS apps.
Also, I used Gentoo on it briefly.
Yellow Dog Linux is a RH based distro for ppc/macs.

The case could probably be made that (with OS X) since it is (suppossedly) running a BSD type kernel -- that it is more stable than practically anything else, but that is the start of a flame war that I would rather not start. I might be doing the same thing. I am getting REAL tired of the 4-letter word (dell)....

That´s why I roll my own, never buy a pre-fab machine and pay the M$ tax...try http://www.tigerdirect.com for good deals on components.
tony

Good luck
Marc

--
Anthony Baldwin
Translator / Court Qualified Interpreter / Certified English Teacher

http://www.baldwinlinguas.com
English, Français, Español & Português
860-399-7118 / 860-235-8233