Re: Changing host

CodeHeads wrote:
On Sat, 03 Jun 2006 22:09:39 -0400 "Mark Haney" <mhaney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

under.actuate@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hey,

You know how, when Linux boots, just before the GUI login screen appears, you see the console and it looks like

localhost.localdomain:

It just sits there briefly and then goes to the GUI login screen. Well, this is how it looked for me until just barely. Now it looks like

computer_name:

Is there any way to get this back to being localhost.localdomain? Also, how do I get to the GUI from the console?

Jared

I don't know about the computer_name deal, is that what you named it at some point? As for getting to the GUI from console, startx works, startkde also works if you are using KDE. And I think (and don't quote me) gdm will start gnome, although I've never done that before since I've used KDE almost exclusively the last year or so.

$startx will take you to your last login desktop.  If you used Gnome last, it
will take you there, and vise-versa with KDE.

As far as the localhost.localdomain You can get to this, if you are using
Gnome, under System => Administration => Network

Hope this helps.

Will
   You probably want to check /etc/hosts.  there should be a line:
127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain localhost

If this is o.k., there are a few other files that might be the problem. You could google hostname, or write back and I'm sure some one will give you a list of places to check.

Scott