Re: recording spdif with ice1724 chipset

Ian Malone wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying to work out how to record from an S/PDIF input
using a Terratec 7.1 Space (Envy24 based card, supported by
ICE1724 Alsa driver).  I simply can't work it out.

Under Windows it's necessary to use the Terratec control
panel to select S/PDIF as the recording source (rather
than the analogue mixer/sources).  What I think I should
do under Linux is something like:

$ arecord -f dat test.wav -Dhw:0,1

This gives:
Recording WAVE 'test.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 48000 Hz, Stereo
arecord: set_params:901: Sample format non available

Which might sound like I've asked it for a format it can't
supply.  Except that specifying -Dhw:0,0 (the analogue
input) does the same thing, but leaving off the -D option
records happily.  I haven't plugged anything into line-in
to test whether it's actually doing anything yet though.

Anyone have any ideas?  One of the reasons I got this card
was to record from digital source and it's going to be
annoying if I have to use Windows to do it.

$ arecord -l
**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
card 0: T71Space [Terratec Aureon 7.1-Space], device 0: ICE1724 [ICE1724]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: T71Space [Terratec Aureon 7.1-Space], device 1: IEC1724 IEC958 [IEC1724 IEC958]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

While you're waiting for a real reply, try this ...

arecord -L

Should show a list of PCM device names, on my box, I see "spdif" and "iec958" in the list.

arecord -f dat test.wav -D spdif

might work, I don't actually have a working spdif input.

Regards,

John